As a business man if you are not concerned in maximising your sales then your company is heading to a downfall or it will just be like a charitable organisation. The sales process include so many other people like the customer service representative, the delivery department.
According to Jeffrey Gitomer in his book ‘The Sales Bible’, a salesperson is the most important person in business, this is an aspect that most people fail to understand. It is thanks to the sales that the factory can manufacture or provide more goods and services since there will be shortages, salaries of workers and even that of the owner of the company can be paid, equipments be bought and more.
When you sell to someone one time you are selling twice, what do I mean, simply because when you sell to someone and he leaves happily, he will come back whenever he needs that particular item or service. More so, he will go as far as referring you to another person. This is what I term as sales circle. Selling rotates whenever you treat your customers well and providing what they want.
In sales there are rules that govern a proper sales functioning. Jeffrey Gitomer came up with the following:
- Sell it in terms of what customers wants or need not what you have to offer. At this point the customer will feel satisfied and will want to come back the next time.
- Gather personal information about the customer especially when you doing indoor sales as to always have something to talk about apart from business all the time. This point will lead us to our next point…
- Build friendships with the customers. Most of the time you find yourself selling the same product with other people in the market, at the same price or even others sell cheaper than you. So what will make people come and buy from you??? That is where friendship has a role to play. When you build a solid friendship with your customers they will hardly buy elsewhere. Build a relationship shield competition can not pierce.
- Gain product knowledge, this is fundamental. Know what you are selling form top to bottom. In this way you will never feel embarrassed in front of any customer and he will believe in you and what you are selling.
- Lastly, gain confidence, this confidence arises from product knowledge that you possess, it will always show when you are with the customer if you are confident or not. When you have a mastery of what you are selling you will definitely feel confident.
Finally best salesmen are those with, best attitudes, best product knowledge and best services.